Suggest to support the character encoding of "gbk"

From: Xu Xiaodong <xd_xu@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 11:15:22 +0800
To: www-validator@w3.org

Dear W3C Validator Team,

I have validated my homepage with your validation service with the
following results,

This Page Tentatively Validates As XHTML 1.0 Strict (Tentatively Valid)!

Character Encoding Override in effect!
The detected character encoding "gbk" has been suppressed and "gb2312"
used instead.

The url of my homepage is
"http://learn.tsinghua.edu.cn/homepage/981852/index.html".
I put the following lines into my html file,

content="text/html; charset=gbk" />

which means I use the Character Encoding "gbk". I don't know why "gbk"
is not supported.

In China, "gbk" is quite normally used in character encoding and is even
more widely used
than "gb18030". I hope your team could consider my suggestion to support
"gbk" with the
lager character set and it is maturer and also better supported than
"gb18030".

Thank you very much.

Sincerely yours,
Xiaodong Xu