Re: Strict or Transitional

From: Frank Ellermann <nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 12:54:13 +0100
To: www-validator@w3.org

Andreas Frey wrote:

> So is the strict better/closer to the recommendations than
> transitional or just another variation of xhtml?

HTML 4 and XHTML 1.0 have strict - transitional - frameset
variants.  Later XHTML versions are based on strict modules,
I've no idea how to use relevant parts of the legacy module.

Some strict rules don't work with legacy browsers, therefore I
cannot use strict.  Unfortunately some strict rules make sense
_and_ would work with legacy browsers.  I've no idea how to
create a strict-for-legacy DTD, and so I'm forced to use XHTML
transitional, sigh.  YMMV, bye, Frank