Re: [VE][79] Error Message Feedback

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005, Liam Quinn wrote:

> P can only contain inline elements [1].  TABLE is not an inline element.
> Since the end tag for P is optional, the <TABLE> tag implies the end of
> the P element.  The </P> tag that follows the TABLE thus has no P to
> close.

So technically the markup would be valid if the </P> were removed.
This would mean that there is a P element with empty content
(<P></P>) before the table. This is valid but explicitly frowned upon in
HTML specifications, which even say that browsers should ignore empty
paragraphs (though I doubt whether they do); the spec says that style
sheets, not empty paragraphs, should be used to create spacing when
desired.