Validator 0.6.7 Error in check on line 703 using Mac OS X

From: Donny Viszneki <smirk@thebuicksix.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 01:53:03 -0500
To: www-validator@w3.org

As it turns out, I get this error even using the release version. Here
is the error again, and again, it occurs any time it successfully
retrieves HTML for validation.

Error Message:
Can't use an undefined value as a symbol reference at
/opt/local/share/w3c-markup-validator/httpd/cgi-bin/check line 703.

I'm running Mac OS X 10.3.7, Apache 1.3.33, Perl "v5.8.4 built for
darwin-2level" and I am not using mod_perl.

Has anyone heard of this problem before? Googling has yielded no
results. I have however done the following "test." Bare with me, as I
don't really know Perl. Beginning with line 695, you see code that
exists in the ordinary program, which creates some pipes if I'm not
mistaken. I read the documentation for IO::File's new_tmpfile function,
and "If the temporary file cannot be created or opened, the 'IO::File'
object is destroyed. Otherwise, it is returned to the caller."

   # Temporary filehandles.
   my $spin  = IO::File->new_tmpfile;
   my $spout = IO::File->new_tmpfile;
   my $sperr = IO::File->new_tmpfile;

   # Testing the $spin variable
   if ( not $spin ) { print STDERR "spin seems to not exist\n"; }

Surely enough, Apache's error log looks like this after an invocation
of the script as per the URL provided earlier:

spin seems to not exist
[Wed Jan 12 01:45:19 2005] check: Can't use an undefined value as a
symbol reference at
/opt/local/share/w3c-markup-validator/httpd/cgi-bin/check line 706.

This is obviously my output, then some output generated by Apache, then
some output generated by Perl. I hope this gives you all something to
go on. I'd be willing to try and solve these problems myself, but the
program is over 3,000 lines, and it would be a supreme effort on my
part to try and understand it without much in the way of Perl
experience.