Re: Ampersands in the HTTP Header

From: Olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 12:42:35 +0900
To: Richard Neill <rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
Cc: Liam Quinn <liam@htmlhelp.com>, www-validator@w3.org

On Fri, Feb 25, 2005, Richard Neill wrote:
> >"&" should be escaped as "&amp;" in HTML where "&" has a special meaning
> >(as the start of an entity or character reference).  HTTP headers are not
> >HTML, and "&" does not have a special meaning in HTTP headers.
> >

> In that case, may I suggest that the Validator should check for (and
> flag as an error) this point.

It is unclear to me what you mean by "this" in your sentence: are you
implying that the Markup Validator should check into such HTTP headers
as Location, find instances of &amp; and report them as errors?

Checking HTTP compliance is a good idea, but it's completely out of the
scope of the marlup validator.

--
olivier