Re: NAME attribute of INPUT element should be required?

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 18:40:23 +1100
To: Jonatan Lander <jonatan@wineasy.se>
CC: www-validator@w3.org

Jonatan Lander wrote:
>> The requirement for a name attribute with some types of inputs but not
>> others is not expressed in the DTD...
>
> Hmm. I'm not sure how to interpret this. Is the requirement real and the
> fact that the validator doesn't catch this a limitation of the validator
> (and/or of the DTD representation of the specification),

It is not possible to express this requirement within the DTD, thus the
validator will not catch the error.

> or is the requirement in fact not a requirement in the normative sense,
>  since it isn't expressed in the DTD?

The inability to express a requirement within the DTD does not make it
any less of a requirement, it is simply a requirement that cannot
checked by the validator.

> Is the document valid or not?

It is technically valid according to the DTD, but it is not conformant
with the HTML 4.01 recommendation.  Validation is only one aspect of
conformance and the validator is just a tool.
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/validation.html

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/