Re: [VE][139] non SGML character number (was: Error Message Feedback)

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 14:54:45 +0200 (EET)
To: www-validator@w3.org
Cc: "webmaster@eammm.com" <webmaster@eammm.com>

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005, Lachlan Hunt wrote:

>   Jukka has a really good explanation of Windows-1252 and the
> problemating characters within it, when used on the web.
>
> http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www/windows-chars.html

Thanks for the nice words... But I was recently reminded of the fact that
the document is somewhat too pessimistic in the current situation.
It basically warns about using certain characters because they cannot
be used safely, and there are still relevant reasons behind this, but
as a whole, I think the Web is mostly safe for dashes and curly quotation
marks now - when used properly.

I guess the document is not far too outdated as it is now, so it could
serve as a useful resource in the validator's messages, but this really
creates some pressures to me to update it. :-)