Re: Document without charset

From: Terje Bless <link@pobox.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 09:54:01 +0100
To: www-validator@w3.org

Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi> wrote:

>Thus, if you submit an XML document to a validator without 'charset',
>then the validator is formally required to treat it as US-ASCII. (I hope
>the validator doesn't actually behave so, or at least issues an adequate
>warning.)

Without checking the code, in this case the validator should fall back to using
the Appendix F algorithm for guessing the encoding (right or wrong; that's how I
recall it to behave).

--
  “Temper Temper! Mr. Dre? Mr. NWA? Mr. AK, comin´
   straight outta Compton and y'all better make way?”            -- eminem