Re: validator fails to check htaccess protect pages...

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 08:17:29 +0100
To: Gerard Saunders <gerards@deakin.edu.au>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

* Gerard Saunders wrote:
>Hi, We have installed the W3C Markup Validator locally however
>we are having issues checking any webpage protected by a .htaccess
>file. There are no issues with non-htaccess protected pages.

That's because by default the Apache webserver will not provide the user
name and password to the check script. You can work around that by using
a special compile time switch for Apache or some module to work around
this security measure. See

  http://www.google.com/search?q=http_authorization+site:w3.org

for some clues.