RE: Error Message Feedback

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 08:18:51 +0000
To: Brian MacLeod <bmacleod@fiber101.com>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 15:52 -0800, Brian MacLeod wrote:
> Assuming that non-characters could be small (as in my case where it was an
> out-of-range character encoding) or very large (e.g random bytes introduced
> in quantity), just show a small sample from the beginning of the problem
> area.  Something like 6-8 bytes.  The appropriate Validator output would
> then be:
>
> <valid UTF-8 characters>
>
> <initial 6-8 bytes or invalid material>

But then the validator output would not be valid.

> With an output like this, the ability to debug would be preserved without
> placing much burden on the Validator tool.  In my case where the output line
> number bears no relationship to the source, I would have been able to
> pinpoint the problem in a heartbeat.

Well, the output line number does bear a relationship to the source. You
can always generate the markup from your script and examine that.

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-validator/

--
David Dorward                           <http://dorward.me.uk/>
"Anybody remotely interesting is mad, in some way or another."