Re: Relaxed - new HTML validation service based on RELAX NG + Schematron

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 18:22:34 +0300
Cc: www-validator@w3.org, Osmo Saarikumpu <osmo@kotikone.fi>
To: Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz>

On Aug 31, 2005, at 14:09, Jirka Kosek wrote:

> Osmo Saarikumpu wrote:
>
>> BTW, I have to agree w. the view that Relaxed should not be called a
>> validator. Perhaps "the HTML checker"?
>
> It seems that people on this list are too bound to HTML/XHTML.
> Validation in SGML/XML sense is simply process of checking document
> against its grammar. It is irrelevant whether this grammar is
> expressed in DTD, RELAX NG or W3C XML Schema.
> I don't think that problem is name "validator" per se, but fact that
> many people are unable to see distinction between validity and
> conformance.

Considering my observations about the reactions to Relaxed and to my
validation service, I think it would be easier to market Relaxed if the
word validator was not qualified by the name of any language whose
normative schema formalism is DTD. That is, saying "Relaxed - a RELAX
NG and Schematron validator for (X)HTML" instead of "Relaxed - the HTML
validator" would make the title a lot easier to defend against pedants.

I have had only one SGMList complain about me calling my validation
service a validator.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi