Re: [important] validator.w3.org overloaded

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 07:30:16 +0900
To: WWW-Validator Community <www-validator@w3.org>

Dear all,

As detailed in the message
the server running the W3C Markup Validator (as well as a number of
other tools) has been severely overloaded during the past couple of

We have, a few days ago, set up a second server that automatically and
transparently shares the requests, and that load balancing appears to
have made the situation much more bearable. The validator, as far as we
can tell, does not take extremely long times to process a validation
request any more.

You do not need to change anything to your setup to benefit from this
load balancing, it is automatic.

The advice given in my previous message on this topic is still
relevant: the online service should be used, but not abused. Heavy
users, or users of automated scripts calling the validator, just need
to exert reasonable judgement.

We are still in the process of developing and preparing the next
releases. This is an active and exciting time in the development of
this tool, and a good time for those interested in participating to

Thank you for your patience.