[important] validator.w3.org overloaded

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 19:42:44 +0900
To: WWW-Validator Community <www-validator@w3.org>

Dear all,

As many of you noticed, since the release of the Markup Validator's new
version last week, the server validator.w3.org has had trouble honoring
all validation requests in a reasonable time. This mail will try to
summarize what we know, what we are doing to improve that situation,
and what you too can do.

* Causes of the problem

In a nutshell: CPU load.

However not particularly slower than the previous versions, version
0.7.0 of the validator introduces architectural changes that makes it
easier to maintain and less bug-prone, but also a little heavier on the
system. This means that in good conditions, the validator will run fast
and smoothly, but when a lot (over 250) validation processes run at the
exact same time, the server lacks CPU power, load skyrockets, and the
system gets into a vicious circle of processes taking time to end,
therefore being heavy on the system, etc, for approximately 10 hours a
day on week days.

* What we are doing

We have been working very intensively around the clock (literally) to
improve the situation, by:
- tweaking the system settings so that nothing hinders its primary
function
- tracking broken scripts that are abusing the system
- preparing a 0.7.1 release with improved performance
- starting our next phase of development oriented toward
modularization, and which should have direct (and positive) effects on
performance

* What you can do.

- be patient... Don't hit reload like crazy because validation results
don't load.
- if you have batch scripts calling the validator, make sure they are
set to sleep at the very least one or two seconds between requests.
- if you have batch scripts calling the validator, consider running
them between 22:00 and 04:00 GMT, when the system load is very low.
- if you are a heavy user of the validator, such as a company or a web
design agency, you may want to install the validator locally on your
network.
See: http://validator.w3.org/docs/install.html (there are also
installation guides for Mac and Windows platforms)
- ... and you are of course welcome to help in the development of the
validator.

Thank you all for your patience and cooperation.
--
olivier