Re: ALT attribute of Valid HTML icon

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005, Andreas Prilop wrote:

> It strikes me that version 0.7.0 of the validator now has
> *three different* ALT texts for *one* image, namely
>
> alt="Valid HTML 4.01 Frameset"
> alt="Valid HTML 4.01 Strict"
> alt="Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional"

That's rather odd indeed. If the construct gave useful information to
users, we might even say that such an approach discriminates against
people who use graphic browsers with images loaded.

>     (And the "!" is gone.)

Yes, but not from the W3C XHTML 1.0 icon of the validator's page - an icon
that can be rather misleading. Since the validator performs validation of
any given page, the icon that claims the validity of a validator's report
could be mistaken as relating to what the validator is supposed to do,
i.e. validation of the page that the user submitted to validation.