Re: [VE][73] Error Message Feedback

From: Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta@iki.fi>
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 12:49:41 +0300
To: www-validator@w3.org

On Wed, 2005-08-03 at 10:49 +0300, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Aug 2005, Olivier Thereaux wrote:
>
> > Your <head> is missing a <title>.
>
> We have often seen suggestions that this common error should be reported
> more directly - especially since it is a practically significant error
> (see e.g. "<title>: the most important element of a quality Web page",
> http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/good-titles ).
>
> Unfortunately it seems that there is no way to achieve that without major
> changes in the validator's structure. At present it can only signal that a
> required subelement is missing, not what subelement is missing.

Yep.  But this particular case is so frequently reported that the error
message has been updated in the upcoming release to say:

    Most likely, You nested tags and closed them in the wrong order.
    Another possibility is that you used an element which requires a
    child element that you did not include. Hence the parent element is
    "not finished", not complete. For instance, <head> generally
    requires a <title>, lists (ul, ol, dl) require list items (li, or
    dt, dd), and so on.