Re: [VE][65] Error Message Feedback

From: Olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 13:05:28 +0900
To: Rick F Martin <rick.f.martin@philips.com>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

Hello Rick,

Thanks for your message.

On Wed, Aug 03, 2005, Rick F Martin wrote:
> Would be nice to supply info on to turn off OMITTAG NO.

I think there is some kind of misundestanding here. Validation is
comparing a document against a formal grammar, in our case HTML or XML
DTDs. OMITTAG is just one rule in the DTDs, in other words it is part of
how the language you are validating against is constructed.

So there is no "turning off OMITTAG NO", unless you want to create
another (proprietary) language, and create a DTD for it that. I doubt
this is actually what you are trying to achieve.

> Have a bunch of generated HTML files that are W3C compliant

strictly speaking, there is no such thing as "W3C compliant". I assume
you mean "valid against one of the W3C markup languages", although it's
not sure which.

> except for <BR>s. Instead of editing them all to be </BR> would like
> to set OMITTAG YES.

HTML 4.01 would allow you to use <BR>, as it has OMITTAG YES. For XHTML
document types, indeed, you must use <br /> (lower case...)

Hope this helps.
--
olivier