Re: [VE][188] Error Message Feedback HELP!!!

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 09:33:08 +0300 (EEST)
To: Mel Reed <mnm@tsn.cc>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005, Mel Reed wrote:

> Im all new to this, i dont understand..

First, please post in plain text, not in HTML (and invalid HTML at that,
as spat out by some misconfigured E-mail client).

> Line 1, column 14: no internal or external document type declaration
> subset; will parse without validation
>
> <!DOCTYPE html>

It means that no document type definition was given. Your !doctype is
malformed. Look at the HTML specifications to find the exact !doctype
that is suitable for your document and copy it (preferably with
copy & paste) exactly, to the letter and punctuation.

Saying just <!DOCTYPE foo> would say only that the root element's name is
foo. (Using html instead of html has no magic effect.) How would you
expect a markup validator proceed to checking the syntax when nothing else
has been specified?

> here is my link if you can help me out
> http://www.mypage.tsn.cc/melsplace/melweb.html

Well, that's the correct address, but the one I first saw had an extra "."
so it didn't work. One more point in favor of posting plain text, not
quasi-HTML.