Re: Confused

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 12:42:11 +0100
To: Deon Meyer <dmeyer@centricity.co.za>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 01:26:44PM +0200, Deon Meyer wrote:
> Should I validate my offline document or should I add doctype and encoding
> type?

Both.

> How do I know If my document won't have problems with other browsers.

You don't; but valid code makes for a good target to aim for ... it
doesn't move.

> I'm not sure wich type of html or xml I'm using and thats why I can't add
> doctype and encoding type.

Which probably means you are writing tag soup and depending on error
handling in browsers. Pick a version of HTML (or XHTML if you can see
a benefit) and code to that standard.

HTML 4.01 Strict is usually the best choice for new documents.