Re: Codepage

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 12:02:18 +0300 (EEST)
To: David Gimeno i Ayuso <info@sima-pc.com>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, David Gimeno i Ayuso wrote:

> I'm using codepage ibm850 your validator seems not to support.
>
> Will you support it in the future?

I don't think the validator should be enhanced to support such encodings.
There are hundreds of different encodings around, most of which
(including, if you ask me, ibm850, "DOS multilingual") are unsuitable for
use in public networks.

I would suggest converting the document into ISO-8859-1 (ISO Latin 1),
using (if needed) character references (&#number;) for characters present
in ibm850 but not in ISO-8859-1. In addition to letting you validate the
page, this also makes your page more Web-friendly. (It is unrealistic to
expect widespread support to DOS code pages in browsers that operate on
different platforms.)

People who still want to use encodings not recognized by the W3C validator
may wish to take a look at the list of encodings supported by the WDG
validator, at
http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/supported-encodings.html
(though there's not much more there, and specifically not ibm850 alias
cp850).