Re: W3C HTML Validation within my HTML editor

From: Olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 18:26:23 +0900
To: "Gabrielsen, David" <david.gabrielsen@streamserve.com>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

Hello David,

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004, Gabrielsen, David wrote:
> Hi, I have developed a text/html editor, and I would like to implement a
> feature enabling the user to validate the file he is currently working
> on my submitting the local file on his harddrive from an url.

Nice feature for an HTML editor, indeed.

> 1. Is it possible to do this?

Yes, it is. The Opera browser, IIRC, has a feature that does exactly
that: send the file currently browsed for validation using the upload

> 2. Am I allowed to do this, or will this be in conflict with your
> copyrights?

You're welcome to do this, as long as your software behaves "decently"
(some software doing several requests per second to the validator would
probably qualify as "not behaving", but you should not have this

As for violation of the copyright, I am not aware there is any way you
could use the validator that would be a violation of our copyright, but
if you want to be on the safe side, please check with us when you're
done implementing.

> 3. Or are there any other way to do this?

See below.

> I tried this without success :
> http://validator.w3.org/check?uploaded_file=c:\my_local_html_file.html

Uploading to the validator needs to be perfomed through an HTTP POST
request, with the file content as payload for the post data. I suggest
you could look at libraries in whichever language you are writing your
software that would give you access to HTTP methods.

Hope this helps