Re: [VE][108] Error Message Feedback

On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 05:26:52PM +0300, Arno wrote:
> And another question: am I supposed to put the DOCTYPE on every single page
> of my site?

Yes

> I have have a website which has over 200 files. It'd be a real job to add
> the line to every page...

It is less of a job if you write to the standard from the outset, or
if you use some form of templating tool to generate your documents.

>    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

You use a <frameset>, this only appears in the frameset DTD, so that
is the DTD you should use.

http://www.w3.org/QA/2002/04/valid-dtd-list.html

> <FRAMESET COLS="*,450,*" SCROLLING="NO" BORDER="0" FRAMEBORDER="0"

The HTML 4.01 specification <http://w3.org/TR/html4/> includes, IIRC,
a skeleton frameset document you could base yours on, however in the
vast vast (etc n^100 times) number of cases, frames are not a good
solution to the problem.

<http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Problems_with_using_frames>

> <NOFRAMES>Your browser doesn't support frames<BR>
> </NOFRAMES>

As alternative content goes, this is not very helpful... or
accurate. Several browsers support frames while allowing the user to
turn them off.