Re: checklink: Link checker unable to read working urls

From: J. Grant <jg@jguk.org>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 00:52:02 +0100
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
CC: www-validator@w3.org

Hi Bjoern,

Thanks for your reply.

> The server is broken, it responds with 404 to the HEAD request *and* the
> response contains a body,
>
>   % http-head http://www.panasonic.co.uk/dvd-recorders/dmre85hebs/index.htm
>   HTTP/1.1 404 Object Not Found
>   Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 21:47:08 GMT
>   Connection: close

How bizarre.  Seems to be an MS-Windows 2000 box.  Can you tell which
vendor the httpd server is from?  Perhaps we can give them a bug report.

>>http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/02/23/1939225&mode=thread&tid=156
>>http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/08/18/2257257&tid=126&tid=1
>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorbis
>
> Slashdot has a robots.txt that prohibes access (though I would expect
> checklink to tell you that so there might be something else going on),
> wikipedia.org blocks checklink,

I wonder why they block checklink?  Is there a way to change the
checklink user-agent from the web page so I can check as though I am
using Mozilla?

Kind regards

JG

--