Re: [VE][338] Error Message Feedback

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 20:08:40 +0300 (EEST)
To: marco <lgm1985@infinito.it>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, marco wrote:

> I get an error with a PHP var in the URL: eg

I think you should fix the error. You might also consider whether "Click"
looks good in a list of all links, or on paper, but that's beyond
validation.

> The validator says "&pag" is an incorrect entity

No, undefined.

> Maybe if fount in a url it shouldn't be checked...

Entity references are parsed in URLs as well as elsewhere. There's no
"maybe" about it. In fact, a validator has no idea of URL when it parses
attribute values; the href attribute is declared as CDATA, which means
virtually "anything goes", _but_ entity references and character
references _must_ be recognized.