Re: W3C Markup Validator - Idea

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 20:38:08 +0200
To: Goochi Vasquez <goochivasquez@yahoo.co.uk>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

* Goochi Vasquez wrote:
>I use a lot of javascript on my site, all these code
>gets checked too and parses a lot of 'unvalid' html
>while it isn't html at all.

Yes, the Validator needs to parse the content of <script> elements in
order to find the closing </script> end-tag, and while it ignores all
(*all*) markup inside script elements in HTML documents, it does not
ignore the sequence "<" + "/" + [a-z] as that could be </s which then
might be </script> and it complains if it ain't </script>. You can
avoid that by splitting the sequence like "</" + "foo>" or by escaping
parts of the sequence like "<\/foo>", see

  http://esw.w3.org/topic/ValidationProblems
  http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/problems.html#script
  http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/appendix/notes.html#h-B.3.2.1

The Validator just does what the specification requires it to do, so
in order to change, the specification must change first and that is
probably rather unlikely to happen.