W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-validator@w3.org > September 2004

Re: Problem with Internet Explorer on XP with SP2 installed

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@iinet.net.au>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 23:03:31 +1000
Message-ID: <413DB1A3.3050001@iinet.net.au>
To: www-validator@w3.org

> On a number of XP machines on which we've loaded SP2 we've discovered that
> Internet Explorer seems now to upload files ending '.htm' or .'html' (at
> least) with a MIME-type of 'text/plain' rather than 'text/html'.
> 
> If our analysis is correct then this is clearly an IE bug (or 'new
> Microsoft defined standard')

While it could be a new MS standard, I think it's actually bug.  For 
some reason SP2 changes any file being sent using IE as text/html, 
regardless of the extension, will be changed to text/plain.  However, I 
have discovered a very simple solution for anyone experiencing this 
problem, by modifying a registry key slightly.  I wrote about it in my 
blog [1].  There's also a similar fix that will also allow users to 
validate XHTML (with a .xhtml extension) as application/xhtml+xml from a 
file upload using IE as well.

[1] 
http://www.lachy.id.au/blogs/log/2004/09/validating-xhtml-with-ie-using-file

-- 
Lachlan Hunt
http://www.lachy.id.au/
Received on Tuesday, 7 September 2004 13:04:06 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Wednesday, 25 April 2012 12:14:15 GMT