[VE][53] Error Message Feedback

From: Vincent Hallberg <vincent.hallberg@secret-agent.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 11:43:00 -0700
To: <www-validator@w3.org>
I'm working on page with over 1500 lines of code in it and have about 1000
lines of that devoted to JavaScript.

The JavaScipt portion starts off like this on line 166:

<script charset="iso-8859-1" type="text/javascript">

<!-- //

And ends like this on line 1241:

// -->

</script>

Along the way I have a number of lines of code that look like this:

for (a = opts.length; a > 0; --a) {

After getting though several hundred line of code like this the Validator
all of a sudden starts targeting the -- entries around line 814 like this:

Line 814, column 38: invalid comment declaration: found name start character
outside comment but inside comment declaration

for (a = cityOptions.length; a > 0; --a) cityOptions[a] = null;

Obviously there is a problem in the HTML Validator when parsing very long
pages of code like this, specifically dealing with the double hyphens --
which you eventually see at the bottom of your JavaScript code.  Do you guys
have a work around or even know about this problem?

Vince

Technical Director

Secret Agent Technologies Inc.