Re: [VE][108] Error Message Feedback

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004, Batzen wrote:

> |But it doesn't say anything about the other td's with BACKGROUND used
> as an attribute.

The validator tries to be helpful by suppressing error messages: it
reports the first occurrence of an error like BACKGROUND for TD, or
BACKGROUND for TABLE, but does not give repeated messages for the same
attribute for same elements later.

Technically, maybe it shouldn't. Maybe it's part of a validator's job to
report _all_ reportable markup errors. But then again, people would surely
complain "I got a hundred messages for essentially the same error!".

If you ask me, it should be the default behavior to report all errors, but
when the same error (for some definition of "same") occurs several times,
the report should begin with a statement about that and about a
user-selectable option of suppressing repeated errors.