Re: Color in pages

"Jukka K. Korpela" <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi> wrote:
> That's because it is valid. Validation is formal, and it only covers those
> aspects of markup that are defined at the formal level (basically, in the
> DTD); see http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/validation.html for a longer
> explanation.

I must admit I don't entirely get this. Why does the word "valid" have
such a strange meaning when applied to HTML? In any normal situation,
data which did not conform to the text of a specification would be
considered "invalid". For some reason, with HTML data can be wrong but
"valid". Surely in such an example as above it should be described as
"valid SGML" but "invalid HTML"? If not, why not?