Color in pages

From: KM <king.macro@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 09:30:03 +0000
To: www-validator@w3.org

"A color value may either be a hexadecimal number (prefixed by a hash mark)"

however if you validate a page containing, for example:

the validator shows "This Page Is Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional!", IE
will ignore the lack of a # and render the page properly, however
other browsers such as Firefox dont, and the HTTP specifications seem
to say that its not valid HTML.

Unfortunately I didn't notice this until after I had gone through my
entire site using IE making every page valid, and then tried opening
it in Firefox.