Re: Invalid URL scheme (xxxx) when I use your re-validation link from my webpage

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 21:06:12 +0000
To: Avi Green <avi@dorsai.org>

On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 13:14 -0500, Avi Green wrote:

> Unfortunately when I use the button to validate my page using your
> online validation service v0.6.7 at validator.w3.org/check?uri=referer,
> the referrer header seems to get munged:
>
>   Sorry, this type of URL scheme (xxxx) is not supported by this
>   service.  Please check that you entered the URL correctly.

Yes, this is lazy munging by some proxy server you are running. (IIRC
yhe referer header is optional, but if specified must contain a URI - I
don't think XXXX:XXXXetc qualifies).

> I'm assuming that the problem is being
> caused by the Referer Filter in the Internet privacy software (McAfee
> Privacy Service) on the computer I'm using.

Yup.

> Interestingly, I don't have this problem when I click on the link from
> one of YOUR pages.

Those links probably have the URI hard coded into the link.

   http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A//dorward.me.uk/

rather then using the referer header.

It might be worthwhile generating such links for the output text instead
of depending on the referer header.