Re: Problem with Macromedia Flash

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004, Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Nov 2004, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> >
> > c) define a DTD of your own that allows the <embed> element
> >    and its attributes
>
> Note that doing this is no better than simply using <embed> with the HTML4
> DTD.

It is better because it allows the author check whether the document
conforms to the syntax he intends to use, so that there are no typos
in attribute names etc. After all, that's the purpose of validation, is it
not?

> Worse, in a way, since now your document is non-conformant in two
> ways instead of just one.

It would be a document that conforms to the SGML standard.
Besides, I think it is better to declare that you deviate from
a specification rather than falsely claim to comply with it.

By the way, I was about to refer to Eric Bednarz' nice tag soup DTD at
http://sandbox.bednarz.nl/sgml/dtd/tagsoup.dtd
but then noticed that it contains

<!--

2004-09-23

Due to mystery meat changes to the W3C validator,
this service is temporarily unavailable.

-->