Re: [VE][79] Error Message Feedback

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 23:49:10 +0000
To: tiscali <hzbdel@tiscali.co.uk>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

On Sat, 2004-11-13 at 14:58 +0000, tiscali wrote:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11/05/mod_oks_win2k_warships/>
> Windows for Warships safe for Royal Navy</a><br>
>
> Why am I receiving an error stating that the end tag for element "A"
> is not open?

Attribute values must be quoted unless they contain only specific
characters (in which case the quotes are optional). "/" is not one of
those specific characters. Inside a tag, but outside an attribute value,
a "/" closes the element (although most browsers do not correctly
implement this). Thus your code is roughly equivalent to:

<a
href="http:"></a>/www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11/05/mod_oks_win2k_warships/>
> Windows for Warships safe for Royal Navy</a>

Moral of the story: Follow the advice in secion 3.2.2 of the manual: "We
recommend using quotation marks even when it is possible to eliminate
them."