Re: end tag for "head" which is not finished - when no title

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 01:27:18 +0200 (EET)
To: Richard at Yowsie <richard@yowsie.com>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Richard at Yowsie wrote:

> I got the error
> end tag for "head" which is not finished
> when what I had actually done was omitted a title

That's a rather common situation.

> Is it possible to make the message more specific?

I don't know the internals of the validator, but it _should_ be possible.
After all, the parser _should_ know which elements it is missing,
otherwise it cannot tell that an element "is not finished" (which is a
somewhat odd formulation, since there _is_ an end tag for it - it's just
not _validly_ finished).

As an educated guess, I think the validator could be modified to report
something like

End tag for element "..." found, but the element lacks required
subelement(s): "..." or "..." or ...

where the "..." strings would have to be generated from the parameters of
the parsing routine.

But this really depends on the parser. If the above is not possible, then
I would suggest a reformulation like

End tag for element "..." found, but the element lacks some required

(Not very brilliant, but correct, and points to the right direction.)

Or maybe as the http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/
validator puts it:

Missing a required sub-element of ...