Re: Validating file not working

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 12:12:34 +0000
To: Bj?rn Stenfeldt <bs@e-supply.dk>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 01:06:11PM +0100, Bj?rn Stenfeldt wrote:
>    get the following error message when I upload the file:

>    its content type is text/plain

>    I have the MIME type set and the file is a
>    .html file, so it should work in my opinion.

A <meta> tag in the document does not override the mime-type sent by
your browser. MSIE on Win XP SP2 is borked and fails to understand
that .html files are text/html and not text/plain. See the archives of
this mailing list for details. The simple solution is to use a better
browser for everything except checking the page works in IE.

http://www.getfirefox.com/
http://www.opera.com/
http://www.konqueror.org/