Re: Validating EURO-Sign ?

From: Frank Ellermann <nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 01:49:50 +0100
To: www-validator@w3.org
Cc: abr@abrunner.com

Adrian Brunner wrote:

> 1) Why don't you accept this code (‚) ?

u+0080 is not allowed for SGML (or whatever the error message
said, it won't be better with XML).  Latin-1 0x80 is u+0080.

> 2) What should be the correct code to validate the page
>    correctly ?

The code is correct for windows-1252 instead of Latin-1, just
replace the charset, that's also the solution working with
many legacy browsers.  You could also use &euro; working with
any document charset, but not with all browsers.

Don't try &#128;  That's incorrect with all charsets even if
it appears to work with some browsers.  It took me two years to
get this simple idea, starting with HTML 4 stuff like &#128;
is always interpreted as Unicode point (no matter what the
document charset is), and u+0080 (Unicode point 128) is always
illegal.

Instead of &euro; you could also use &#8364; but my good old
Mozilla 3 is consequent and doesn't recognize both forms.  It
can handle the byte 0x80 correctly, and the validator believes
it if you use windows-1252.
                            Bye, Frank