Re: [VE][107] Error Message Feedback

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 13:29:39 +0000
To: Antonello Bianchi <antonello@mathesis.it>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

On Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 02:15:28PM +0100, Antonello Bianchi wrote:
>    Thanks to David I've found a solution to my issue and maybe what probably
>    is an inconsistency in the validator: I've understand that the message
>    stated that the selected attribute must have a value.

No, it has a value (selected), it needs a name (also selected). This
is a somewhat odd thing in SGML in which where you have a value for an
attribute which can apply only to one specific attribute you can leave
the name off and use just the value.

i.e. selected=selected
     ^^^^^^^^^
The content indicated with "^" characters is optional in HTML.

>    It seems that the
>    form <option value="xxx" selected>kkk</option> is not accepted even if, as
>    far as I know, is a legal one.

That is not legal in XHTML. See the reference I provided earlier.