Re: An omission in the validator?

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 14:06:11 +0100
Cc: <www-validator@w3.org>
To: "ForeverChat Webmaster" <webmaster@foreverchat.net>

On 26 May 2004, at 13:41, ForeverChat Webmaster wrote:
> I just wanted to bring to your attention the MAYSCRIPT attribute in the
> <applet> tag. The validator doesn't recognise it

Does the DTD you selected include it? The validator only checks against
the rules you tell it to check against; if an attribute is not
recognized then the problem is with the choice of attribute or the DTD
(usually the attribute), not the validator.

Looking at the Applet Compatibility Guide
compatibility/applet-compatibility.html>, it appears that the MAYSCRIPT
attribute is a non-standard Sun/Netscape extension that is only needed
for out of date versions of the Sun Java Plug-in and even more out of
date versions of Netscape Navigator/Communicator.

There is no mention of MAYSCRIPT in the HTML 4.01 specification:

David Dorward