Re: An omission in the validator?

On 26 May 2004, at 13:41, ForeverChat Webmaster wrote:
> I just wanted to bring to your attention the MAYSCRIPT attribute in the
> <applet> tag. The validator doesn't recognise it

Does the DTD you selected include it? The validator only checks against
the rules you tell it to check against; if an attribute is not
recognized then the problem is with the choice of attribute or the DTD
(usually the attribute), not the validator.

Looking at the Applet Compatibility Guide
<http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/deployment/applet-
compatibility/applet-compatibility.html>, it appears that the MAYSCRIPT
attribute is a non-standard Sun/Netscape extension that is only needed
for out of date versions of the Sun Java Plug-in and even more out of
date versions of Netscape Navigator/Communicator.

There is no mention of MAYSCRIPT in the HTML 4.01 specification:
<http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/objects.html#h-13.4>
<http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/index/attributes.html>

--
David Dorward