Re: Unclosed tags

On Tue, 25 May 2004, Liam Morland wrote:

> I found that I think is a bug with the W3C HTML Validator.

It is not a bug.

> Consider this HTML fragment:
>
> 	<li<a href="file.html">File</a>
> 	  ^^
>
> The <li> tag is not closed.

It is implicitly closed by the tag that follows it (technically, by the
tag open character "<").

> This is not raised as an issue with the W3C
> Validator, but is is raised by the WDG Validator.

It is an issue, but not a reportable markup error.

The WDG validator gives, in addition to a validity report,
some useful _warnings_. A warning is not an error.

The warning is given because browsers generally do not support HTML as
defined, regarding some issues like this, and the omission of tag close
character ">" in HTML is virtually always a typo, not intentional.

See http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/appendix/notes.html#h-B.3.3
which needs to be read so that "limited support" means "no support"
in clause B.3.7 (and the explanation is effectively handwaving aimed at
declaring lack of support acceptable).

There has been much talk about making the W3C validator deviate from HTML
rules in this respect. Eventually this will probably take place. The
_proper_ method, of course, would be to define HTML 4.02 that has
different _rules_, so that shorthand markup is not allowed. But nobody's
really interested in improving HTML 4 definition, and in XHTML the
problem has been replaced by quite different problems.