From: Neil Crosby - RSG <necr@pml.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 15:28:34 +0100
To: Anders Widman <andewid@tnonline.net>, www-validator@w3.org

Anders Widman wrote:
>   Hello,
>   It  would  be  good  if the validator sent a HTTP_ACCEPT header when
>   validating webpages.
>   I  am  testing  for  the  presence  of application/xhtml+xml in that
>   header  and  sends  my page as such if present. This is so I can use
>   older code for older browsers.
Hi Anders,

I agree that it would be the correct thing to do for the validator to
send a HTTP_ACCEPT header when validating pages.

I too have recently been writing code which tests for
"application/xhtml+xml" (using PHP), in the end choosing to create a
special case for the validator so that it would be sent XHTML rather
than HTML.  The results of my code are at
http://www.workingwith.me.uk/articles/scripting/mimetypes/ - you might
find the code useful.

Neil Crosby