Re: Confusion abounds over DOCTYPE syntax

From: Frank Ellermann <nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 15:19:50 +0200
To: www-validator@w3.org

dnickell wrote:

> I have no idea which is proper for a simple Web Page that
> does nothing but show an animated GIF as a test.

You want the DOCTYPE for HTML 4 transitional, because your
page isn't XHTML, and it isn't strict.  With validator you
can force a DOCTYPE (use the page with the advanced options).

At the moment your page has no closing ">" in its DOCTYPE.
so this won't work even if you force a DOCTYPE with the
advanced options.  IIRC there's a FAQ about selecting the
DOCTYPE, go to the HTML 4 transitional entry and copy it:

Even for a "public" DTD the validator wants to know where
to find it, but your examples don't include this info.

Here's my "magic" string (you can't use it literally, it's
XHTML transitional, but you'll get the idea of the format):

"http://validator.w3.org/sgml-lib/REC-xhtml1-20020801/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

You have the first parts up to ...//EN", now you have to add
a corresponding location of the DTD and the closing >

                            Bye, Frank