Re: validator probs?

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 09:35:15 +0100
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
To: bas van abel <bas@waag.org>

On 17 May 2004, at 15:39, bas van abel wrote:
> It seems that the new validator has some problems with the nested UL
> tags which are normal to use according to the W3C spec (correct if I`m
> wrong ;-))

You are wrong.

> <ul>
>         <li>ping</li>
>         <li>pong</li>
>         <ul>
>                 <li>extra</li>
>         </ul>
> </ul>

Lists can *only* have list items (ul > li) inside them. You can have
other lists inside those list items (ul > li > ul), but ul > ul is
forbidden.

The example you may have been looking at is only valid because in HTML
4.01, end tags for list items are optional. The sublists are still part
of the list item.

--
David Dorward
      <http://dorward.me.uk/>