Re: Misleading header on validator.w3.org

From: Terje Bless <link@pobox.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 07:49:07 +0200
To: www-validator@w3.org

Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi> wrote:

>There are two options: either you tell what a validator really does
>(thereby unavoidably confusing people who lack the necessary
>prerequisites for understanding that), or you try to "advertize" it by
>saying something that isn't true.

Well, admittedly, “advertize" is what we're trying to do with that blurb.

>An honest description would be:
>The W3C Markup Validation Service is a free online service that can be
>used to check SGML and XML documents (including HTML and XHTML
>documents) against a Document Type Definition (DTD). This helps to
>detect a wide range of syntax errors in documents.

That's actually bordering on beeing edible for a front page blurb.

Perhaps combined with a link to a document discussing the topic further?
Something that pays particular attention to the things the Validator does
_not_ do; e.g. the distinction between “Validation” and “Conformance”,
checking of attribute values, WCAG checking, etc. etc.  Something that
suggests the way forward after you've fixed the basic validity of your markup.

- --
If you believe that will stop spammers, you're sadly misled. Rusty hooks,
rectally administered fuel oil enemas, and the gutting of their machines,
*that* stops spammers!                                         -- Saundo

Version: PGP SDK 3.0.3