Query on W3C Link Checker Capabilities

From: Rahul Prabhakar <rahul.prabhakar@oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 11:12:17 +0530
To: www-validator@w3.org
Hi
I would like to know whether the W3C Link Checker checks for the
relative path of the files before throwing an error for a broken link. I
think it doesn't.

I have my htm files put up in a top level folder called html. I got two
sub folders for img_txt and Images that contain the alternate text htm
files and all the gif files respectively.

I zip the top level folder, the path info in the zip file is relative
for img_txt  htm files and gif files.

When I run the zip file through the W3C checker, it shows broken links.
Why is that?

Please clarify?

--
Regards