Re: Background problem

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 09:06:19 +0100
Cc: <www-validator@w3.org>
To: "SEAN MCDERMOTT" <mackviola@hotkey.net.au>

On 10 May 2004, at 03:39, SEAN MCDERMOTT wrote:

> Coding from W3schools

Oh dear

>  1.       Line 16, column 15: there is no attribute "background"
> The schools code and mine appear identical

So? w3schools are:

(a) Not, IMO, very good
(b) Not affiliated with the W3C

There is no background attribute for the table data cell element:

Use CSS for presentational detail such as background images.

> Below are the results of attempting to parse this document with an
> SGML parser.
>  1.       Line 7, column 6: end tag for "head" which is not finished
> </head>

The <title> is required.

> I have used the same "DOCTYPE and  <meta http-equiv=" as w3cschools
> uses.

The meta http-equiv that says an XHTML document has content type of
text/html? Oh dear.

I wouldn't suggest you learn XHTML until you have a good grasp of HTML.
XHTML has a few nasty gotchas. http://www.hixie.ch/advocacy/xhtml

> I am bewildered as to why I get an error.

The validator checks a document against a DTD.
Your document uses non-standard stuff which doesn't appear in the DTD
you selected.
Therefore, you get an error.

David Dorward