Re: [VE][63] New Error Message Suggestion

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 16:37:33 +0300 (EEST)
To: www-validator@w3.org

On Sat, 8 May 2004, Paul D.Buck wrote:

> If character data cannot follow a block quote, what CAN?

A block.

> If the text has to be wrapped inside the block quote with a <p> </p>,
> why not say that?

Because a blockquote element may contain different blocks, not just p.
Besides, it's really not a validator's job to tell such things. It's job
is to check whether a document complies with a DTD.

> Why this "<p></p>" is necessary escapes me.

Block level markup is required inside blockquote according to the DTD you
had specified in a DOCTYPE declaration.