re: the HTML 4.01 validator

From: JHowse <jhowse@nf.sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon May 3 09:07:42 2004
To: www-validator@w3.org

I've been working on upgrading my skills lately, getting all the proper
tags and formatting correct. And moving towards XHTML at the same time. I'd
validated all my files to HTML 4.01 Transitional, and then copied them all
and changed the DTD to XHTML 1.0 Transitional so I could make sure I could
validate there as well.

I've found an odd bug that I thought I should point out to someone.

In one file I have a lot of tables. The XHTML validator caught 8 problems
that weren't caught in the HTML validator. 6 of those were the lack of
ending tr tags, and 2 were missing >'s in the table tag. Yet this same
file, with a different DTD validated fine in HTML 4.01!

Such a bug makes me wonder if my other pages truly are valid :(

suggestions please? Thanks!

JHowse