Re: character encoding

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 00:10:00 +0200
To: Juergen Kayser <Juergen.Kayser@behrgroup.com>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

* Juergen Kayser wrote:
>I have trouble to validate the xhtml-file you can see on the bottom.
>
>The error message is:
>"The HTTP Content-Type header sent by your web browser (unknown) did not
>contain a "charset" parameter, but the Content-Type was one of the XML
>text/* sub-types (text/xml). The relevant specification (RFC 3023)
>specifies a strong default of "us-ascii" for such documents so we will use
>this value regardless of any encoding you may have indicated elsewhere. If
>you would like to use a different encoding, you should arrange to have your
>browser send this new encoding information. [...]"
>
>....but I think I have a correct character encoding (iso-8859-1). So what is
>the matter?

Could you clarify what in particular you did not understand from the
text you quote, so that we can improve it? If your document is not
us-ascii encoded you must either use a different MIME type than
"text/xml" or configure the web server so that it specifies the
character encoding of the document along with the MIME type. For XHTML
documents you should use application/xhtml+xml, that would remove the
problem.