Re: inconsistency

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 00:05:47 +0200
To: "Ken Innes IV" <webmaster@absoluteanime.com>
Cc: <www-validator@w3.org>

* Ken Innes IV wrote:
>On the page:
>It states:
>"... document authors must explicitly tell user agents the language of each
>script. This may be done either through a default declaration or a local

http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-html40-970708/ is obsoleted by
http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-html40-19980424/ which is obsoleted by
http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/ which in the section
you cite states

  This attribute specifies the scripting language of the element's
  contents and overrides the default scripting language. The scripting
  language is specified as a content type (e.g., "text/javascript").
  Authors must supply a value for this attribute. There is no default
  value for this attribute.

You can learn more about the W3C Recommendation Track process on

which is referenced from the specification you cite, see

>I would assume the validator is incorrect, because if the "type" attribute
>is required for every SCRIPT tag, then a default meta "Content-Script-Type"
>declaration is pointless. Additionally, the page says "It is also possible
>to specify the scripting language in each SCRIPT element via the type
>attribute". If the type attribute is required, it should not say "it is also

The validator is not incorrect here, I assume you just referenced the
wrong document type declaration, you could have checked

which states

  Typical usage:

  <!DOCTYPE HTML SYSTEM "http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-html40-970708/HTML4.dtd">

So a document like

    SYSTEM "http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-html40-970708/HTML4.dtd">

should validate. The document unfortunately does not exist, so you would
need to change the system identifier to point at the correct DTD which
seems to be

    SYSTEM "http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-html40-970708/sgml/HTML4.dtd">

for which the W3C MarkUp Validator would be unable to find any error,
try http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/direct.html if you like to
see that yourself.