Re: checklink: runtime error

On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 23:51, Oswald Zangerle wrote:
> Hello,
>
> >Which browser do you use?  Opera 7.23 is known to have problems with
> >the link checker's JavaScript.  Could you try if the >same problem
> >persists in the new beta version at
> >http://validator.w3.org:8001/checklink ?
>
> the problem persists in the new beta version in IE 6.0  SP1 with all
> patches installed. I get the runtime error now at line 30; with Opera
> version 7.50 no problem; with Mozilla 1.7b no pboblem. OS Win98SE

Okay, given the following, in no particular order:
- It can be argued that using the "private" application/x-javascript is
  not much "better" than using the unregistered text/javascript.
- The Markup Validator and one of its error message explanations use
  text/javascript.
- text/javascript seems to be more widely supported than
  application/x-javascript.
- Various W3C Recommendations and documents refer to text/javascript.
- Various ECMA scripting related documents (for example ECMA-290) refer
  to text/javascript.
- It's a "pick your poison" situation, there's no Right Thing to do, and
  nothing makes me expect this to change in the near future.

...I've given up and changed the link checker to use text/javascript
instead of application/x-javascript, which will hopefully "solve" the
problems.  The beta version at http://validator.w3.org:8001/checklink
has been updated, let us know if it works better or worse now.