Re: default subject for feedback mailto: link

On Jun 4, 2004, at 9:08, Philip TAYLOR wrote:
> Since this text in no way requires or even suggests that an error
> message suggestion should form a part of the message, could I
> respectfully suggest that there be no more of these "Where is
> the error message you are suggesting ?" messages unless and until
> the validator uses more explicit link text.

You certainly have a point that "new error message suggestion" is
provided by the validator, not written down by the sender, however the
subject provided in the mailto: link is actually a default subject, and
(arguably) I would expect careful people to at least check their
message - including subject - before sending the mail.

In other words, if there was another default subject such as "feedback
on error message [XXX]" or no default subject, I am afraid we'd get a
fair share of calls for help without subject or claiming to be
feedback.

One idea would be to have two links - one for help and another for
feedback -. Another idea would be to only give the error number and
provide an explanation on how to suggest better error messages in the
feedback page. Neither are perfect, so comments and other are much
welcome. In the meantime, may the ones annoyed by the wrongly labeled
messages be a bit patient with the clueless calls for help, and may the
ones annoyed by the annoyed ones be patient too :)

Thanks
--
olivier